Tuesday, September 2, 2008

McCain-Palin vs Obama-Biden

Believe it or not this isn't going to be a post about politics. I would actually like to comment on the media furor over Palin's daughter. I generally don't vote party lines. I vote based on my own convictions. I've had a tough time deciding who to vote for this year. I'm not real pleased with either of the candidates, but again I'm not really going to talk about politics! I am aghast at the way the media has treated this situation of teenage pregnancy!

First of all, would I want my teenage daughter to be pregnant? Of course not. But, even if she was would I want it spread across the world? NO! The way I look at it is everyone makes mistakes. It reminds me of the time that Jesus came upon the woman about to be stoned. He asked her accusers which of them was without sin. Of course none of them could say they were so they all walked away! I wonder how many of the media would like their families mistakes spread across the newspapers, tvs, & magazines.

I'm sure some of you are saying well she chose to be in the spotlight and we want to know about her and her life. Okay I understand that to some extent. We all know it now, so why can't they leave it alone? I heard Obama this morning saying that this is a family situation and shouldn't enter into politics. He said even his mother had him at 18. What difference does it make in the whole scheme of things? To me it actually holds up the fact the Palin doesn't believe in abortion.

I got married when I was 17. The obvious question is: Were you pregnant? No, I wasn't. I was just foolishly in love. I didn't really even understand what love was. It is just the mercy of God that my marriage has worked because we surely didn't know what we were doing. The reason I bring this up is this, many people assumed that I was pregnant or had "messed up". My father is a preacher and many people wrongly accused my parents as being "bad parents" because of my supposed mistake. They would say "How can he lead the church if he can't lead his home?" Well, he did a great job of leading his home, and leading the church. I was just a very headstrong young lady, and I thought I knew everything. I wanted to start my life as an adult! Was that my parent's fault? No, believe me, they tried to talk me out of getting married so early. They begged me to wait until after I graduated high school. They realized that I was very determined. In the end it was better for me to go ahead and get married rather than to make a mistake. Why do we always look for someone to blame? Why can't we accept the fact that people make mistakes all on their own, and no one else is at fault?

We are all God's children. Do we blame God when we make a mistake? Is it somehow his fault? Did he not teach us better or did we just not listen? Does it make God wrong? Of course not!

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox! I'm not going to watch the news today. Hopefully by tomorrow this will have blowed over, and they'll have moved on to something else.

4 comments:

Mari said...

You are so right! I am sick of hearing about this too. I'm also bothered by the fact that the media doesn't seem to have a problem with the people in Hollywood having kids without being married, but they blow this way up. Hopefully it will pass soon.

Jen said...

Good for you. I was 19 and got asked the question alot and people who dont know me are counting my years of marriage+youth+Madison's age.....who really cares?

heidi @ ggip said...

Great post! I am so glad you brought up the story of Jesus and the woman who was about to be stoned.

If any of us are faultless, and only then, can we throw the first stone.

I think we should pray for this young girl who is pregnant. It is not going to be easy for her, but I believe she can be a good mom for her child, who is loved by God.

Val said...

I agree with you also. I think the media is so wrong in talking about this. This does not make Sarah Palin a bad mother. Young ladies and men do what they want to do. This baby will be loved and life will go on. God bless this family!