Monday, April 11, 2016

I Don’t Know the Future, but I Know Who Holds It


The last few months, really almost a year now, I have struggled with lots of things; health, finances, family issues, just so many things.  It seems like peace has been hard to find and I've really had to learn to trust in God.  So many things that we just don't know how are going to work out but know that we serve an Almighty God that won't let us go.  Today I was having a particularly bad day and have reminded myself so many times to trust, let go, let God.  Basically a resounding pep talk all day long and this comes up in my FB news feed.  I started to share then I changed my mind.  I posted something earlier today on FB and have since had countless messages and text messages asking if I was okay.  I still wanted to share though and it came to me...share on your blog.  Someone might read it and if not you might need it later.  So here goes... written by Tracie Miles on Proverbs 31 Ministries.

"Then said the Lord unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no."  Exodus 16:4

I had barely slept as the worries in my heart grew bigger and bigger in the darkness. When the sunshine finally peeked through my window, I immediately began to pray. I poured out my heart to God and dumped all of my concerns at His feet.

But as I continued praying, I began to notice a pattern. No matter what circumstance or concern I shared with God, they all seemed to share one underlying theme — the fear of lack of provision.
You see my personal circumstances had changed, and suddenly my future was not as secure as it once seemed. I felt God convicting my heart with the need to stop fearing the unknown and start trusting Him with the unknown. Then I heard a gentle whisper in my spirit saying, “I alone am your Provider.”

With eyes closed and tears threatening to emerge, I nodded my head, “Yes, Lord. You are. Forgive me for doubting Your provision. I seek Your peace and ask You to take away the fears gripping my heart. I don’t know what the future holds, but I know You hold my future. Amen.”

I opened my eyes and felt Jesus nudging me to have some time alone in His Word, so I picked up my phone and clicked on the app where I read one of my daily devotions. Immediately, hot tears pushed through my eyes as I realized the devotion was echoing the prayer I had just prayed minutes earlier. It specifically addressed the fears for provision I had just shared with God. In fact, it was nearly word for word. God had heard the cries of my heart, and He wasted no time reassuring me He was listening.

The devotion was based on today’s key verse in Exodus where God provided for His people in a miraculous way. It was designed to bring them closer to Him, as they were forced to trust Him for their provision on a daily basis.

I read about how the people of Israel had looked everywhere but “up” for their needs to be met. They’d been slaves to the Egyptians, and after God set them free, they had to fully trust Him for all of their needs. The slaves were physically free but still mentally enslaved to their habit of looking for provision from people and things.

I thought about where I usually looked for provision, and none of them were “up.” I looked to my job. I looked to my husband. I looked to my checkbook or my savings account. I looked to my goals and dreams. I looked to my relationships. But now life was changing, and God was calling me to look to Him.

Then I read further in the passage to Exodus 16:8 which says, And Moses said, This shall be, when the Lord shall give you in the evening flesh to eat, and in the morning bread to the full; for that theLord heareth your murmurings which ye murmur against him: and what are we? your murmurings are not against us, but against the Lord.” (KJV).

Ouch. I had been doing a lot of complaining and sharing my concerns. I realized my complaints were not only to my Provider, but against my Provider. The One who had always provided for me in the past, and He would continue to do so in the future, even if I didn’t know exactly how.
After reading the devotion and thanking God for reminding me He was my Provider, I felt a wave of peace. Admitting my need for God and trusting Him as my Jehovah-Jireh, lightened my heart and changed my perspective from that day forward.

I still may not know what the future holds, but I know Who holds my future. And He has your future in His hands, too.

Lord, I have been feeling enslaved to my thoughts of worry and doubt and I seek Your forgiveness. Help me remember You alone are the One who will provide for all of my needs — physical, spiritual and emotional. Help me recognize the sweet ways You are raining down manna each day and to trust You alone with the future. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
TRUTH FOR TODAY:
Philippians 4:19, “
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus..” (KJV)
RELATED RESOURCES:
The devotion that Tracie Miles read when she encountered God’s voice was from the free Proverbs 31 Ministries First 5 devotional app. It will transform your time with God as you give Him the first 5 minutes of every day. Join us for the study of Acts on the First 5 app, beginning April 25! Get the Acts Experience Guide here.
If you want to grow closer to God and trust Him with your past and your future, you’ll be inspired by Tracie’s book, Your Life Still Counts: How God Uses Your Past To Create A Beautiful Future.
REFLECT AND RESPOND:
What provisional needs have you been most stressed about?

How might committing to trust God as your Jehovah-Jireh bring peace to your heart today?

1 comment:

Krista said...

Seasons of life... I wrote this 3 years ago but I could have written this yesterday. This trial seems never ending. The problem is different but the circumstances are the same. I must always remember that God alone is who I should trust for all my needs.