Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Anyway, The Paradoxical Commandments

I love devotional and inspirational type books, and a few years ago someone I worked with gave me a book written by Kent M Keith called Anyway, Finding Personal Meaning in a Crazy World. In the book he goes about telling how and why he wrote The Paradoxical Commandments. When I am going through a trial I will take out that little book, and read it again. Today, I wanted to share with you The Paradoxical Commandments.

The Paradoxical Commandments
by Dr. Kent M. Keith
People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.
People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.
© Copyright Kent M. Keith 1968, renewed 2001

3 comments:

Val said...

Boy, this one is hard, but I love it and it is so true.

Anonymous said...

That is interesting I have never seen it before. It definitely made me think.

Mari said...

I've seen this before and thought it was great then. It was good to see it again.