Friday, August 15, 2008

Being more organized

I have had a terrible time staying organized since I went back to work part-time a few weeks ago. I am only working on Tuesdays & Wednesday at the family flooring store, but the break up in my week seems to mess up my planning completely. I wasn't able to plan meals, all the clothes were piled up, and my house needed a thorough cleaning. I had gotten into the habit of cleaning a room a day, washing a couple loads of clothes everyday, and planning the meals kind of as I went through each day. That doesn't work anymore.

This week I decided enough is enough. I can't let this go on. So, last Saturday I got up early and worked on the house, washed some clothes, and made my weekly menu. Isn't it funny how something so little, like a menu plan, can make your entire week go smoothly? I wrote out the menu and made my grocery list at the same time. I posted the week's menu on the fridge for everyone to see and hold me accountable. Well, it worked! This week has been great! If you don't have a menu plan head on over to the Org Junkie on Mondays. You'll find several (I think this week there were over 300).

Tomorrow is a very busy day, so today I went through all my cabinets, cut out any remaining coupons, made my grocery list and decided what we were going to eat for next week. I already have my menu plan posted on the fridge for next week. I know this sounds silly, but I am so excited. I love making lists, and they make me happy. :)

I received some good news in the mail today. I'll tell you all about it in another post. Believe me it is important enough that it deserves it's own post!

6 comments:

Tammi said...

I love list. I make a list for everything! Organizing is so addictive and fun!

Jen said...

I really love making lists and organizing a menu too. I HAVE to have a menu plan....it helps keep me in line on $$$ at the grocery. I cant wait to hear your good news...I love getting old fashioned mail...

Mari said...

I've been doing menu plans for about 10 years now. I do 2 weeks at a time and I write them in a little purse calender. I keep a few years worth. Sometimes I look back to see what se were doing, but I also use it for ideas.
I can't wait to hear about your good news!

Sandra said...

I'm like Mari, I've been doing menu plans for over 10 years, I started doing them before I even got married, and also like Mari, I do them for two weeks at a time LOL

Being military we get paid every two weeks, so the day before, I sit down and draw up menus for 2 weeks, it really does help me stay on track and saves me a LOT of money.

Mississippi Songbird said...

I try to be organized as much as I can. I know I can improve..lol
Hope you have a wonderful week. I can't wait to read about your good news.

Anonymous said...

I agree, when you are out of the house things really can pile up. Making lists and being organized is a great way to stay on top of things.
Toni