Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Baby Girl





Yesterday I wrote about my baby boy so today I thought I’d write about my baby girl.

Mary Elizabeth, the ‘date’ she was born had always been a day of sorrow for me. You see her ‘birth’day is March 18. My granddaddy died on March 18, 1977, and then my Mama Mary Dell died on March 18, 1990. In my mind it was only fitting that when I went to my doctor’s appointment the morning of March 18, 1993 that the doctor would tell me that my baby girl was in distress. He said if I didn’t deliver soon that her life was in danger. I was only 19 at the time and completely alone. Charlie was on his way to a job 2 hours away in Atlanta, and my Mother was 2 hours away in Knoxville TN. Being the stubborn person that I am I told the doctor that I would not let him induce labor or give me a C-Section and that if she was meant to die or if she was meant to live then so be it. Well she is just as stubborn as I am because at 6:30 that night she was born in to this world completely natural.

There are so many things that I could say about my daughter. She is the child of my heart. She is the one who will walk up and give me a hug just when I need it. I remember when she was about 3 years old, she looked up at me with those big blue eyes and said “Mama, will you be my best friend?” She had on her favorite outfit. The one with the lady bugs on it! She wanted to wear that outfit everyday to preschool. She has always been my best friend. We go shopping together. We have our nails done together. We have our hair cut together. You get the point.

Beth is one of those people that loves completely. When she decides you can be a part of her bubble then you are truly blessed. However, she doesn’t love easily. She was born during a time in my life where I thought I was all alone. I wouldn’t let anyone close for fear that they would hurt me. I think I passed that feeling on to her. She doesn’t let many people get to know her. She appears to be a quiet person when you first meet her, but give her a little bit and she’ll talk your ear off!

She is extremely creative. When she picks up her sketch pad & pencil it’s like magic comes from her fingertips. I love to watch her catch that perfect moment by drawing or on camera. I’m not sure whose side of the family all this creativity came from but she is very talented. My grandfather was a sign maker. He created signs by putting pencil to paper long before computer graphics where around. I’d like to think that she inherited her creativity from him. I know he’d like that too!

This fall she’ll be spreading her wings. It is time… She has been accepted to Maryville College on an art scholarship. I know she’ll be successful. She has decided to live at home during her freshman year, but I know that it won’t be too long before she decides to move out to. I just don’t want to accept it. She is my baby! When she was young she would hide behind me when people would come up. I would continue to ‘hide’ her if I could but I know that would handicap her in this world because I won’t always be there to shield her. It’s hard to explain…I’ve just always wanted to keep her safe not letting the mean people of this world hurt my baby.

I’ve prayed her entire life that God would send her a special man that would love her so completely, taking care of her even more than I have. I’ve prayed that that man would be a God fearing person. I’ve prayed that he would be someone who will dedicate their life and marriage to God’s service. Now, it doesn’t have to be anytime soon, but I know that she is at that time of her life where she wants and needs her special someone.

I came home a few weeks ago and she was sitting at the table with her bible, a book, and a notepad. She was reading a devotional called “A Lady in Waiting”. She was cross-referencing the book with her KJV bible. The book is about becoming God’s best while you are waiting for Mr. Right. The book explores Ruth from the Bible, and by doing that you learn the characteristics that every woman of God should develop. I went to my room that day and prayed thanking God that my daughter wanted to be a woman of God! Not many in this day want God in their lives. I’m thankful that my daughter has had Godly women to pattern her life after. I’ve by no means been the perfect role model, but I have been forgiven, and thankfully God does use me to work for him. She has also had wonderful grandmothers, aunts, and other church women that have helped guide her.

Today, I am praying that my daughter will find her path in life, and that the Lord will give her contentment. I pray that God will send her true friends, and not those that just pass fleetingly through your life. I pray that God will keep molding her Mr. Right until he is just the man that Beth needs. I pray that she will always be my baby. Most of all, I pray that God will protect her and guide her throughout her life.

-Blessings
Krista

No comments: